Software Engineer II, Backend (Checkout)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Your role will be instrumental in designing the next generation of Affirm’s Checkout Platform to provide a world-class buying experience that puts customers first! We are seeking a Backend Software Engineer to build out financial products and features providing new levels of accessibility and flexibility to our users. You will work in a fast-paced team environment, designing and implementing new API’s and microservice interfaces to manage every users’ transaction with Affirm. You will also use your technical skillset to find opportunities to improve the performance and reliability of the systems that drive the user journey through purchasing with Affirm. Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What you'll do
- Work with technical leaders in the team to design and implement insightful forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems
- Actively own components of checkout systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems
- Collaborate with engineers within our team and across the organization to build the next generation of the checkout platform
- Learn and improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes across the checkout platform
What we look for
- 1- 3 years of software engineering experience
- Familiarity with Python, AWS, RPC, Redis, MySQL and Github
- Experience with payment systems
- Prior experience building, launching and maintaining consumer scale products
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Experienced at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software
- Experience scaling systems in a service oriented architecture preferred but not required
In addition, we look for
- Take Ownership. You enjoy working with product and engineering leaders to develop detailed project definitions, and drive technical decisions within your team
- Execute. You have a proven track record of developing, testing, and shipping high-quality software at scale
- Collaborate. You communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. If anything, you trend towards over-communication
- Build Teams. You grow with engineers around you through sharing your learnings and providing feedback to your peers that will help the team grow
Customer-centric mentality. You are empathetic to the user experience and thoughtful about what we can do to make it better
Pay Grade - USA 28
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
USA base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT) per year:
USA base pay range (all other U.S. states) per year:
Location - Remote US
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.