Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Banking Foundations)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Affirm Card Engineering team is looking for a passionate Senior Software Engineer to help build the tools and systems that we use to manage money movement, bank data integration & merchant data. Affirm Card is Affirm’s newest financial product that marries the functionality of a debit card with access to Affirm's buy now pay later financing options. Our ability to move money effectively is critical to our ability to reach new customers and improve financial lives. We work closely with experience, data science, product, and a wide range of engineering teams to both leverage existing systems and build new systems.
This role requires a high level of technical capability, strong cross functional communication, and a creative mindset. Our work needs to be correct, scalable, and extensible. Our job is to have an industry leading money movement system to empower our product.
Affirm is experiencing explosive growth with millions of customers across thousands of merchants in-store and online, and your contributions will be a key enabler of that growth. Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What you'll do
- Drive planning and prioritization of projects based on product, technical, and business goals by leveraging relevant resources and data.
- Work cross functionally with colleagues in Experience, Accounting, Product, and Analytics teams to set and execute our money movement strategy for the Debit card
- Build APIs and data models to work within micro-service and event-driven architectures
- Take an active role in mentoring junior engineers, and the processes that support team growth and efficiency
What we look for
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Must be proficient in asynchronous mode of communication–written tech specs, wiki, project plans, etc.
- Excellent project management skills–high degree of organization and ability to surface critical information effectively.
- Work with our Product team to extend our core money movement systems;
- Passion for working with multi-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Python/Kotlin development experience is a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus
Optional skills / experience
- Exposure to ACH system
- Exposure to accounting / auditing systems in past
- Prior experience with card networks
Pay Grade - CAN30
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
CAN base pay range per year:
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.