Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Trust & Safety)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to write high-quality code that can be easily understood and leveraged by others in the Identity Engineering team. Provide technical leadership in a particular area and actively contribute to technical discussions, work on experiments to safely & securely identify consumers with low friction, with novel data and logic via data-driven and iterative approaches to increase user conversion rates. The mission of the Identity team is to enable and support the growth of Affirm’s consumer network and partner network along with our product suites, by providing seamless and delightful product experiences while managing reputational and compliance risks.
What You’ll Do
- Design and write high quality code to increase Identity users conversion rates.
- Provide technical leadership in a particular area and actively contribute to technical discussions.
- Work with and guide engineers on detailed project definition, design, technical specification, cross-functional alignment, task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Build relationships and drive coordination across engineering, partner organizations, and other disciplines, helping get to positive outcomes.
- Proactively communicate and coordinate team’s requirements with other groups and teams in engineering.
- Mentor less-experienced members of team by helping them with code review, setting up best coding practices , providing guidance, and setting a good example.
What We Look For
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Strong engineering experience building, launching, coding and maintaining complex systems
- Experience with Python
- Experience with cloud service providers such as AWS
- Experience with data frameworks such as Spark, Kafka, Kubernetes and Airflow
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, ML,Analytics and Business teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the capability to drive requirements with product and engineering teams and to present technical concepts and results in an audience-appropriate way
- Ability to work efficiently both solo and as part of a team; willingness to learn new things and mentor others
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.