Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Merchant Servicing)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm’s vision is to deliver honest financial products that improve lives. In the US, Affirm now covers half of all ecommerce volume and has access to nearly all buyers. Our mission, as part of the Merchant, Partner and Platform Engineering (MPPE) team, is to grow Affirm’s revenue by helping Merchants and Partners acquire and retain valued customers with industry leading, innovative Buy Now Pay Later POS checkout experiences. We've opened an office in Poland with a goal to hire a substantial team of talented engineers within the first year. Read more about our plans here. We are just getting started. Come be a part of a team shaping the future!
The Merchant Servicing team’s mission is to guide Merchants throughout their journey at Affirm. The team builds technology solutions that empowers merchants of all sizes to efficiently sign, onboard, launch, and deepen their integration with Affirm.
We are looking for a highly motivated Staff Software Engineer to join us and help fulfill our vision. The work will be challenging due to the speed at which the market is growing, and the work involved will directly impact the growth trajectory of the merchant network. We are only just getting started! Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What You'll Do
- Work with product and engineering managers to identify and plan projects based on the team goals and resources.
- Drive detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, in addition to task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Consistently generate simple and elegant designs, and write high-quality code that can be easily understood and leveraged by others.
- Build relationships with people across engineering and other organizations for the design, implementation, roll-out and maintenance of projects.
- Actively participate in making their team and workplace an inclusive environment for people from all backgrounds.
What We Look For
- 8-10+ years of experience as a software engineer with 3+ years of technical leadership responsibilities and experience mentoring junior engineers.
- A Self driven and motivated engineer who takes pride and ownership in navigating through ambiguities and solving complex technical/organizational problems.
- Expert in designing and building distributed systems and applications, real-time, scalable web services, REST APIs, developer portals.
- Proficiency in Python or Kotlin/Java is a must. Proficiency in object-oriented and dynamically typed languages.
- Proficiency in Unit test and IntegrationTest frameworks.
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- A humble team-player who places the needs of others first and participates in the development of peers on the team.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
We are able to offer visa sponsorship for this role, but do require that someone is based in Spain for the role.
Location - Remote Spain
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.