Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Wallets Engineering)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Wallets product engineering team builds and maintains Affirm’s e-commerce, wallets, platforms, and payment gateway partner solutions. Building integrations with the partnership model unlocks merchants on these platforms to effortlessly offer Affirm to their consumers. Wallets team build and maintain digital wallets for large strategic partners and support capabilities for the aforementioned solutions.
As a part of the Wallets engineering team, you will work cross-functionally with product and engineering teams to drive new features and services to shape Affirm’s partner landscape.
You will develop core features and services to onboard industry leading e-commerce partners and PSPs, enhance partner and merchant APIs, tools, drive and build features to enable Wallets integrations. The Wallets team brings tremendous value to Affirm partner integrations, simplifying their onboarding experience and use of Affirm’s product capabilities.
We are looking for an experienced Staff Engineer to join us to help fulfill our vision. The work will be challenging due to the speed at which the market is growing and evolving, and the work involved will directly impact the growth trajectory of Affirm’s partner network.
What You'll Do
- Work with product and engineering managers to identify and plan projects based on the team goals and resources.
- Drive detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, in addition to task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Build relationships with people across engineering and other organizations for the implementation, roll-out and maintenance of projects.
- Maintain and extend the existing partner functionality at Affirm, help define and drive requirements for partner and merchant APIs and tools.
- Extend our partner services to be more configurable, reliable, and performant.
- Consistently generate simple and elegant designs, and write high-quality code that can be easily understood and leveraged by others.
- Take an active role in mentoring junior engineers, partner with your manager to improve the processes that support team growth and efficiency.
- Actively participates in making the team and workplace an inclusive environment for people from all backgrounds.
What We Look For
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and experience mentoring junior engineers.
- Expert at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software.
- Expert in designing and building distributed systems and applications, real-time, scalable web services, REST APIs, developer portals.
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Proven ability to drive project research and design, communicate and document technical ideas clearly.
- A humble team-player who places the needs of others first and participates in the development of peers on the team.
Nice to have
- Solid CS fundamentals and fluency in a dynamically typed language. We primarily use Python here.
- Knowledge of scaling systems in a service oriented architecture
- Working experience with eCommerce platforms, Point of Sale (POS) Solutions or Order Management Systems is a plus.
USA Pacific base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT): $190,000 - $284,900
USA Sapphire base pay range(all other U.S. states): $171,000 - $256,500
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of hire.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?