Principal Software Engineer, Infrastructure (Infrastructure Platform)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Do you enjoy building infrastructure platform products that provide safety and resilience for your product engineering colleagues to deliver cloud SaaS products? Are you an engineer who is confident in defining technology strategy to satisfy business requirements within implementation constraints one week and rolling up your sleeves to dig into a network latency investigation the next? Are you excited by the opportunity to lead a platform through the next phase of growth including international expansion, improved resilience with reduced RPO/RTO, and designs to handle the next 10x scale needs?
Then Affirm’s Infrastructure Platform Engineering team may be for you. We strive to develop, operate, scale, and enhance the cloud platform that supports Affirm’s FinTech products. We provide compute, networking, online and offline storage, and everything else that makes delivering our products to our customers possible. Our approach is to offer self-service products that enforce best practices for infrastructure like container orchestration, observability, secrets and certificate management, data lake, and data analysis services.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with teams to evolve and enhance infrastructure features, operations, and platform ergonomics
- Lead technology strategy, research, and design to craft innovative solutions that unlock scale and availability
- Stay on top of industry trends for infrastructure and cloud technologies and cross-pollinate those ideas and processes with Affirm platform and practices
- Lead vendor Proof of Concept explorations and develop and deepen strategic vendor relationships
- Participate in hiring, coaching, and mentoring engineers across the organization
- Be an integral part of Affirm’s Engineering leadership, helping improve and mature architecture, products, and engineering practices
What We Look For
- Prior work building and operating cloud SaaS products with a focus on scale and site reliability
- Ability to synthesize complex technical requirements, design options, and constraints into clear decisions
- Technologists fluent with past and current patterns for large scale software systems
- Leadership experience at a division or whole company scope
- Passion for providing an extraordinary experience for customers
- Tool builders and sharers who strive to reduce toil and improve efficiency
- Hard-won wisdom gained in the school of hard knocks lessons troubleshooting and tuning production systems and recovering from production incidents
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of hire.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?