Senior Business Analyst
IT, Sales & Business Development
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Academia.edu is a venture-backed, for-profit business based in San Francisco. Our mission is to accelerate the world's research, and we have spent the last 13 years building the largest online network for sharing and finding academic research and connecting with other academics around the world. With over 236 million users, nearly half of the world's academics using our platform every month, and hundreds of thousands of paying subscribers, we are well positioned to achieve our mission.
About the role
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.
Senior Business Analysts at Academia.edu unearth large growth opportunities by analyzing our trove of data, and help product teams deliver value to users and growth for the business. Each team includes a dedicated product manager, product designer, engineers and user researchers, and each team owns a single product or initiative. We rotate teams every 6-12 months to keep the work engaging and the ideals flowing. As an embedded member of a cross-functional product team, you would solve problems like improving the slow-moving academic publishing market, or connecting academics with others around the world to share and collaborate on ideas. Academia.edu is a data-driven company, and as a Senior Business Analyst here your analytic superpowers will thrive. If you’re excited to use data to identify opportunities, analyze and interpret test results to identify business growth opportunities, conceive ideas to realize those opportunities, and make recommendations to product teams and executive management, then apply now! We look forward to meeting you!
Please note that this role is in the San Francisco Bay Area. We're excited to have a packed and lively office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Twice a week those of us in the Bay Area come to our office located in the Financial District for All Hands, intense collaboration, brainstorming activities, and fun events. There are small rooms for 1-1 mentoring sessions or heads down work, and larger rooms for team activities. We continue to support a flexible work environment for all of life’s surprises and needs with generous time off and flexible work schedules.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Academia is a proud equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How you’ll contribute:
- Proactively find opportunities for business growth, development, and scaling, identifying opportunities for the team and the business
- Gather, analyze, and interpret data to inform product strategy and product roadmap
- Define key metrics, design and maintain dashboards, and lead business reporting for your cross-functional product team
- Design and interpret results of experiments
The skills and experiences you bring to succeed (absolute requirements):
- Experience consulting with one of the following firms: Bain & Company, McKinsey, BCG, Oliver Wyman, LEK; minimum 2 years consulting experience + followed by minimum 1 year experience in a B2C software company. At this time we cannot interview candidates who do not meet this requirement
- Experience applying critical thinking to business needs and problems, and identifying opportunities
- Experience with Excel or Google Sheets for analysis and reporting
- Strong cross-functional communication skills, including a proven ability to influence decision making
- Ability to autonomously seek information, gather resources, and deliver results without waiting for direction
- A work style oriented around results and creating impact
The tools you’ll use to succeed:
- Don’t know the following tools? If you bring the knowledge of how to solve business problems, we’re happy to teach you the technical skills.
- Knowledge of SQL and databases (we use Redshift) with the ability to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets
- Python or R skills is a strong plus, but not necessary to apply
- Sisense/Periscope for dashboarding and DBT for data transformations or similar tools also a plus, but not necessary to apply
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive salary, stock options & 401k.
- Fully covered medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents.
- Flexible sick days, flexible hours, 21 days of paid vacation, 12 paid company holidays, and paid parental leave.
- New Mac laptops and a remote work budget, including a monthly internet stipend.
- The office is located just a short walk to public transportation and includes snacks, drinks, on-site showers, bike storage.
- Budget for professional development, team building, and events.
- Monthly book budget.
- Weekly virtual fitness bootcamp and weekly virtual yoga with our personal instructors.
- Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.