Staff Product Designer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
At Academia.edu, we're on a mission to accelerate global research. Based in the vibrant hub of San Francisco and backed by venture support, we have dedicated the past 15 years to building the world's largest online network for the sharing and discovery of academic research. With over 216 million users, and almost half of the world's scholars relying on our platform each month, our product team is crafting innovative solutions that cater to the diverse needs of academics and researchers worldwide.
Your Role: Staff Product Designer on the Author Products Team
As a Staff Product Designer on the Author Products Team, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping the product experience for millions of academic authors. Your daily tasks will include: Engaging with academic authors to deeply understand their needs, Collaborating with Product Managers to define product strategies and roadmaps, and Crafting entirely new products and services. The projects you'll be involved with will be substantial in scale, offering you ample opportunity to make a significant impact. Example projects include:
1) A comprehensive product overhaul for our academic authors
2) Design leadership for our innovative social networking product
3) Development of an AI-driven tool to expedite the research process
Design Leadership & Strategy
- Proactively identify and champion product & design opportunities for academic authors, fostering alignment within the Author Product Team.
- Advocate for user-centric design principles, UX frameworks, and best practices within the Author Product Team and the broader organization.
- Mentor and guide junior designers, nurturing their growth within the field of Product Design.
- Create designs that effectively address academic author needs while meeting business goals.
- Conduct quantitative A/B tests and iterate on designs based test results.
- Solicit feedback from the Product Manager and the Design Team to refine design iterations.
- Conduct user interviews to gather valuable feedback and insights on designs and user experiences.
- Partner closely with the Product Managers and cross-functional teams to align on the product roadmap and UX requirements.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to analyze user data and test results, translating findings into actionable insights to inform design decisions.
- Work closely with Engineers to ensure the smooth implementation of design solutions.
- Engage in regular design feedback sessions with the Design Team, fostering a culture of collaboration and improvement.
- Contribute to the refinement of design tools and processes, optimizing productivity and effectiveness.
- At least 8 years of overall design experience.
- Proven end-to-end design ability (UX strategy and design execution)Proven ability to design large complex products with positive results.
- Solid understanding of design patterns, usability principles, and ethical design practices.
- Experience with quantitative A/B testing methodologies and optimization strategies.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in leading design initiatives within cross-functional teams.
- Willingness to adapt and evolve team processes as the organization grows and learns.
- A strong portfolio showcasing your exceptional design work, with a particular emphasis on end-to-end product design.
What's in it for you?
- Mission-Driven Company: Join a company that is mission-driven but that is also financially secure and stable.
- Product Innovation: Work on cutting-edge projects, such as redesigning the author experience and developing innovative tools powered by AI.
- Leadership: Lead the definition and implementation of entire product lines.
- Impact: Make a significant contribution to the user experience, driving growth and enhancing user satisfaction.
- Career Growth: Explore opportunities for career advancement, whether you opt to further develop as an individual contributor or transition into a design management role.
- Kind Company Culture: Work for an organization that values kindness, fostering a supportive and inclusive work culture.
- Competitive Compensation: Enjoy a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Join us at Academia.edu and help us propel research into the future while making a profound impact on the academic community worldwide. We have a physical office where many work, which is located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.