Senior Growth Designer
Design, Sales & Business Development
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 1, 2023
Academia.edu is a venture-backed, for-profit business based in San Francisco. Our mission is to accelerate the world's research, and we have spent the last 13 years building the world's largest online network for sharing and finding academic research. With over 228 million users and nearly half of the world's academics using our platform every month, our product team develops compelling products for academics and researchers at scale.
As a Senior Growth Designer, you will have a unique opportunity to define the UX framework and drive the user journey from discovering our service to upgrading. We are seeking a designer who can address fragmented product surfaces, introduce consistent design patterns, and identify and improve dark patterns that may exist. You will play a crucial role in shaping the user experience and driving growth metrics by creating a cohesive and intuitive design ecosystem.
Design Leadership & Strategy:
- Proactively identify and advocate for growth opportunities, influencing and fostering alignment within the Growth Team.
- Advocate for the importance of user-centric design principles, UX frameworks, and best practices within the Growth Team and the wider organization.
- Mentor and guide junior designers, providing support and fostering their growth in the field of Growth Design.
Design Execution and A/B Testing:
- Create designs for A/B tests that are highly optimized to move key metrics.
- Rapidly iterate on design variants based on insights gained from previous A/B tests.
- Seek feedback from the Product Manager and the Design Team to refine and improve design iterations.
- Conduct user interviews to gather valuable feedback and insights on design variants and user experiences.
- Partner closely with the Product Managers and cross-functional teams to align on the growth roadmap and UX requirements.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to analyze user data and test results, deriving actionable insights to inform design decisions.
- Work closely with Engineers to ensure efficient implementation of design solutions.
- Engage in regular design feedback sessions with the Design Team to foster a culture of collaboration and improvement.
- Contribute to the enhancement of design tools and processes to optimize productivity and effectiveness.
- At least 6 years of overall design experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Growth Designer or as a Product Designer with a focus on optimizing user experiences and driving growth.
- Proven ability to define UX frameworks and drive user journeys that result in improved conversion and engagement.
- Strong understanding of design patterns, usability principles, and ethical design practices.
- Extensive experience with A/B testing methodologies and optimization strategies.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in leading design initiatives within cross-functional teams.
- Willingness to adapt and evolve team processes as the organization grows and learns.
- A strong portfolio showcasing your exceptional design work, with a particular emphasis on improving user experiences and driving growth metrics.
What's in it for you?
- Make a significant impact on the user experience, driving growth and improving user satisfaction.
- Lead the definition and implementation of a cohesive UX framework and design patterns.
- Opportunities for career growth, whether you choose to further develop as an individual contributor or transition into a design management role.
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
In addition, we have a physical office where many work, which is located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.